LDA participated in a US Congressional hearing on 18th July 2012 : “Global Challenges in Diagnosing and Managing Lyme Disease – Closing Knowledge Gaps”. Witnesses testifying were:
- Stephen W. Barthold, Distinguished Professor, Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology
- Center of Comparative Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine University of California, Davis
- Raphael Stricker, M.D., Vice President, ILADS
- Mark Eshoo, Ph.D. Director, New Technology Development, Abbott
- Ms. Patricia Smith, President, Lyme Disease Association
- Mr. Evan White, Lyme Disease Patient
- Ms. Stella Huyshe-Shires, Chair, Lyme Disease Action
IDSA failed to send someone to the hearing because of “a scheduling conflict”.
Lyme Disease Action submitted a written testament which is slightly longer than the summary oral testament.
Videos of the hearing are available. The hearing started late and in the first recording timings are as follows:
0.27.50 General introductions and statements by congressman
0.48.10 Introductions to the panel of witnesses
0.52.30 Start of witness statements
1.39.40 Start of questions to witnesses
The second recording continues with further questions to the witnesses.
All the written witness statements, which are longer than the oral submissions can be downloaded from the Foreign Affairs committee hearing website.